Friday, May 10, 2013

Breakfast Grilled Cheese


So I have been meaning to try this recipe for awhile. I have delayed it for awhile. I just didn't know how I felt about the combination of ingredients. And then I finally tried it... and I wondered why it had taken me so long! They were so delicious! They tasted like funnel cake stuffed with fruit. I want to try a billion different variations on these! Here is the original recipe:

Breakfast Grilled Cheese
1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
1/4 cup small-curd cottage cheese
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for topping
4 frozen waffles (untoasted)
1 to 2 tablespooons jam (any flavor)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more if needed
Ground cinnamon, for topping

1. Mix cream cheese, cottage cheese and confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. Spread 2 waffles with the jam, then top with the cream cheese mixture; cover with the remaining 2 waffles.

2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes per side, adding more butter to the pan if needed. (Adjust the heat if the waffles are browning too quickly.)

3. Let the sandwiches rest 1 minute before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon.

So when I made these I used frozen Strawberry EGGO Waffles and strawberry jam. I dusted them with confectioners' sugar but passed on the cinnamon. I can't wait to try cinnamon waffles with apple butter or chocolate chip waffles with hot fudge and marshmallow creme! Possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment