Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Strawberry Sweet Rolls


My daughter is on an endless Poptart ritual for breakfast. Every morning that I get to spend with her I ask what she is thinking for breakfast and she asks very politely for a Poptart. Which leaves me to fend for myself. I usually always eat a granola bar for breakfast when I am rushing out the door for work so the thought of having to eat them on the days I get to stay home with my daughter is less than desirable. This has to stop. Enter Strawberry Sweet Rolls.

Pretty simple concept. Make a cinnamon bun style breakfast treat but replace the cinnamon and sugar with strawberry jam. I can do this. Of course the whole chilling for an hour thing threw us for a loop. But in the end it was worth it. Lana exclaimed their deliciousness as we ate them. She asked to eat them again for lunch (even though Mommy rejected that idea). It was even the first thing she told her Daddy about when we passed each other on our way out to dance class and his way in from work. Success. I tried these with store bought jam this time. I think that I would like them better with homemade jam. Next time...

Strawberry Sweet Rolls
1 can crescent dough
3-4 Tablespoons strawberry jelly or jam
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place a sheet of plastic wrap over your work surface. Lightly dust it with flour. Unroll crescent dough onto plastic wrap. Spread jelly over entire dough leaving 1/2-inch along one side. Roll dough starting on the long edge with the jelly. Use the plastic wrap to help roll and roll tightly. Seal roll in your plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. An empty paper towel roll will help maintain the shape in the refrigerator if you have one handy. Just cut the paper towel roll down the center and then place the dough inside.

Remove from refrigerator, unwrap dough log and slice into sections about 3/4-inch thick. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for about 12 minutes, just until golden brown. Remove from oven and drizzle with glaze. Serve warm. 

Glaze: Combine sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment