Friday, August 31, 2012

Thin Mint Truffles


So I decided to whip up some cookie truffles for a barbecue that my parents are having this weekend. I settled on these thin mint truffles and some cookie dough truffle pops. Thin mint first! Originally these are supposed to be dipped in green mint baking chips (something you can apparently purchase only online in this area) so I decided to dip them in white chocolate instead and garnish them with Andes Mint baking chips. They were okay when I taste-tested them. I'm not sure if it was that they weren't cold or the fact that I subconsciously knew that I had put fat free cream cheese in them as the recipe called for... they just seemed to have a weird after taste. I think I am also coming down with a cold which doesn't help with taste testing. Josh and Lana liked them though so I guess it is just me. Here's the recipe:

Thin Mint Truffles
1-9oz box Girl Scout Thin Mints {or Keebler's Grasshopper Cookies - these come in 10 oz. boxes so take four cookies out to get 9 oz.}
4 oz fat free cream cheese, slightly softened
8 oz white chocolate chips or white chocolate bark (I used CandiQuik)
Andes Mint Baking Chips
Popsicle Sticks
 
Cut popsicle sticks in half to make 24 mini sticks. Set aside.

In a food processor, pulse the Thin Mints a few times, and them blend them down until they are just crumbs. It might be easier to do this in two batches. Next, mix in the cream cheese and crumbs together in a bowl until well incorporated. Roll the mixture into 1-inch size balls, push them onto a mini popsicle stick and place them on a wax paper covered baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the fridge for about 30 minutes, so the balls are easier to dip in the chocolate and do not fall apart.

Once the truffles have been in the fridge for a while, melt the green mint chips or white chocolate chips in a double broiler or a microwave safe bowl (or follow the microwave instruction if you are using CandiQuik).

Dip the truffles into the melted white chocolate and then into a small bowl filled with Andes Mint baking chips. Place back onto the wax paper. Once all the truffles are dipped, place the baking sheet back in the fridge so that the chocolate can set. 
 
Unfortunately I have suffered an injury this evening, and due to a small cut that won't stop bleeding on my finger the cookie dough truffle pops will have to be postponed until tomorrow. Stay tuned for those and the Mississippi Sin Dip that is to be made!

No comments:

Post a Comment